Thursday, May 24, 2007

Go Sens Go!

Just got back from the Senators Rally at City Hall. I couldn't stay too long though without risking my gainful employment - thankfully it's almost directly across the street from me. It was alright although I can't for the life of me figure out why they would hold it on a Thursday at lunch time.

There was a parade of former Senators and lots of t-shirts, jerseys and Roman Centurians, which is great to see.

What was weird was the people on stage, Stuntman Stu (who I highly doubt has any stuntman credits) and the penis shaped mayor kept repeating how Ottawa is the greatest place to live, not just a little shabby government town. They actually said that. All I could think was, sure, all the public servants sure couldn't take 2 hours in the middle of a Thursday to watch a slap-dash pep-rally. I'm a bit tired of hearing people try to unsuccessfully defend Ottawa as a city. It is what it is, let those of us trying to make it reach its potential get on with the job. I'm tired of the knee-jerk reaction to a few obviously pertinent observations about the nation's capital.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, the city did a decent job for such short notice. I love the Senators fans because I'm one as well. I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to this team and yes, I'm quick to dispair but that's what being a fan is all about. Heck I used to be a Nordiques fan before I moved to Ottawa, and I with David Ljunggren as a member of the Toon Army supporting Newcastle United. I love the Sens fans, the fans are what make this city a hockey town because we know the civic leaders will cock it all up or generally take yet another opportunity for greatness, coat it in beige and just Ottawa-up the whole thing.


No comments: