Monday, May 14, 2007

Open Letter to Stephen Harper

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

I hope you are doing well for the last three weeks of parliament and that the duffle bag full of personal hygiene products the RCMP treated like a bomb doesn’t distract you from getting the business of the governing the country. But that’s not why I’m writing, I’m writing because I know how you can win the next election.

When the Senators make the Stanley Cup finals put a huge HDTV on the front lawn of the Houses of Parliament and broadcast all the games. Yes, I know Buffalo is already doing this in front of their arena but have you tried to get to the Sensplex? You’ll understand why so many Maple Leaf fans get to it since you’re splitting the distance between Ottawa and Toronto. Also, you know that when the Senators win all the bars in the market, on Elgin and Bank streets will empty as the inebriated crowds march to capital hill so they can sing O Canada (although I doubt the French verse would make the cut). This happened when Canada won gold in ice hockey at the Olympics all those years ago.

I know you’ll take this into consideration, and you don’t have to dress it up as a campaign stunt if you don’t want to. Heck, I know parliamentarians would all like to see these games on our national capital, they spent enough times in committee over our World Cup of Hockey captain and nobody really watches that when there is a Canadian team in the NHL playoffs.

Also, I know you guys have big screens because I’ve been to Remembrance Day celebrations, Canada Day celebrations and Bluesfest. I say dust it off and let’s fly the flag of bone crunch body checks and slap-shots as we watch Canada’s team bring the cup back home. Seriously, don’t make me have to write Larry O’Brien to see if he’ll set up a big screen in front of the Provincial Building/City Hall next to Laurier (where they used to hold the Bluesfest).

I know the Senators don’t have the same fanbase as the Toronto Maple Leafs, but they will be winning so let’s make it the ultimate experience.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Jon Cormier

Tell your friends, maybe someone will get this to actually happen.



No comments: